Transfer domain names from OnlineNIC to Vservs
This page takes you step by step through the procedure for transferring a domain away from OnlineNIC and into an account at Vservs.
The transfer process involves the tasks that are described below. Following the transfer tasks, we provide information about tracking the progress of the transfer, and ICANN rules regarding rejections.
Transfer Task 1: Verify that the domain name is eligible for transfer
To make sure your domain name can be transferred, check the following:
- The domain name has been registered for at least 60 days, and has been at OnlineNIC for at least 60 days.
- The domain name is not in "client update prohibited" status.
Transfer Task 2: Update contact information for the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain, the Registrant and Administrative contact information (especially the email addresses) must be up-to-date at OnlineNIC, because these contacts receive the transfer request and okay the transfer.
To update the Registrant and Administrative contacts at OnlineNIC:
- Log on to your account (or your domain) at onlinenic.com.
- Navigate to the contact information for the domain name you want to transfer.
- Update the Registrant and Administrative contact information if necessary.
Transfer Task 3: Obtain the authorization code
Some TLDs require that you provide an authorization code for your domain name, to provide an extra level of assurance that the transfer request comes from an authorized source.
To transfer a .com, .net, .org, .info, or .biz domain name, obtain the authorization code from OnlineNIC:
- Go to http://www.onlinenic.com/support/.
- Submit a support ticket requesting the authorization code for the domain name you want to transfer.
Transfers of TLDs other than those named above do not require any codes or tags.
Transfer Task 4: Unlock the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain name away from OnlineNIC, it must be unlocked. Locking is a feature most registrars offer to prevent unauthorized transfers (hijacking) of domain names.
- Log on to your account at onlinenic.com.
- Click "Manage Domains" and then click "Domain Lock".
- If you do not have access to the account, contact your reseller and ask them to unlock the domain, or contact OnlineNIC directly at 415-665-6387.
Transfer Task 5: Transfer the domain name to Vservs
Once you have prepared the domain name at OnlineNIC, you're ready to transfer to Vservs.