Transfer domain names from Register.com to Vservs
This page takes you step by step through the procedure for transferring a domain away from Register.com and into an account at Vservs.
The transfer process involves the tasks that are described below. Following the transfer tasks, we provide information about tracking the progress of the transfer, and ICANN rules regarding rejections.
Transfer Task 1: Verify that the domain name is eligible for transfer
To make sure your domain name can be transferred, check the following:
- The domain name has been registered for at least 60 days, and has been at Register.com for at least 60 days.
- The domain name is not in "client update prohibited" status.
Transfer Task 2: Update contact information for the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain, the Registrant and Administrative contact information (especially the email addresses) must be up-to-date at Register.com, because these contacts receive the transfer request and okay the transfer.
To update the Registrant and Administrative contacts at Register.com:
- Log on to your account at register.com.
- Navigate to the contact information for the domain name you want to transfer.
- Update the Registrant and Administrative contact information if necessary.
Transfer Task 3: Obtain the authorization code or retag the domain name
Some TLDs require that you provide an authorization code for your domain name, to provide an extra level of assurance that the transfer request comes from an authorized source.
To transfer a .com, .net, .org, .info, or .biz domain name, obtain the authorization code from Register.com:
- Call Register.com's Business Center. If you are calling from the US or Canada, dial toll-free 877-866-0045. Outside the US and Canada call 902-749-2056.
- Ask them to send you the authorization code.
To retag a .uk domain name:
- Contact Register.com and ask them to retag the domain name to ISP tag Vservs.
- Alternatively, you can retag/detag directly through Nominet, for a fee.
- When you transfer a .uk domain name, use the Auto verification transfer method.
- You can submit the transfer requests to Vservs and Register.com in any order.
- If you submit the transfer request to Vservs first, you must submit the request to Register.com within a week.
- If you submit the transfer request to Register.com first, you must submit the request to Vservs by the next 8th day of the calendar month.
Transfers of TLDs other than those named above do not require any codes or tags.
Transfer Task 4: Unlock the domain name
Before you can transfer a domain name away from Register.com, it must be unlocked. Locking is a feature most registrars offer to prevent unauthorized transfers (hijacking) of domain names.
- Log on to your Account Manager at Register.com.
- In the main menu, select the domain name you want to unlock.
- In the "ENABLE/DISABLE DOMAIN LOCK" section of the page, click "Disable Domain Lock".
- Click "Continue".
- On the confirmation page, click "Continue".
Transfer Task 5: Transfer the domain name to Vservs
Once you have prepared the domain name at Register.com, you're ready to transfer to Vservs.